HI, and welcome to my blog! I am a field guide in a private game reserve in South Africa and below you will find stories and pictures of my amazing job!

March 21, 2011

New Camera in Kruger

     It’s been a long time since I added anything on my blog and for those of you that may have periodically checked, I apologize for its stagnation!  In a nutshell, Rika and I were robbed a month or so ago and our cameras was stolen during the incident.  We have since been paid out by the insurance and have reacquired a new camera.  Its maiden voyage saw us venture in the Kruger National Park whilst on leave and here is a selection of the shots I was able to get…


Whilst staying at Biyamiti rest camp, a literal cheeky monkey discovered some sugar we inadvertently spilt and we watched as he lapped up the fruits of its discovery with relish.  No doubt his sugar rush was extreme!




A rare sighting of South Africa’s smallest owl – the African scops owl


A bold red billed hornbill ventured to within a few yards of me at Afsal picnic sight allowing me to get up close and personal with him.


A curious crested barbet perched right in front of me whilst we spent the heat of the day in one of the bird hides.



Great afternoon light allowed us to get these juvenile and adult bataleur eagles surveying the landscape.



We scanned the area around these vultures looking for what attracted them to the area with no luck. 


A water monitor, nemesis to crocodile eggs, was basking in the morning sun at one of the many river crossings.


A group of impala negociating a stretch of water with consummate ease.  We watched for ages trying to get the right shot – this was the best I could come up with.